Today is 10 Muharram. I’ve been reminding myself that today will be 10 Muharram the whole week… but come the day, I totally forgot about it and did not fast. It’s like last week when I went for a blood test and kept reminding myself not to eat anything until I had given my blood… what did I do? Woke up and had coffee… with milk.
10 Muharram is a very important date for all Muslims and as stated on the website of the Islamic Centre in Leicester:
Ashura day is the 10th day or Muharram (the first month of the Islamic calendar). Since the beginning of this world, Ashura day has been a very important day. On this day great signs of Allah’s power and glory have appeared in the world. On this day many Prophets were born and they were instituted to the office of prophecy. On this day, Prophets, Saints and Sincere servants of Allah were blessed with miracles and spiritual powers.
On Ashura Day the following have taken place:
1. Repentance of Prophet Adam (Allah’s blessing be upon him) was accepted by Allah
2. The ship of Prophet Nuh (Noah) (Allah’s blessing be upon him) came to rest on a mountain called Al-Judi.
3. Prophet Ibrahim (Abraham) (Allah’s blessings be upon him) was born on this day.
4. He got the title Khalil-ullah (friend of Allah) on this day.
5. The fire in which Prophet Ibrahim (Allah’s blessings be upon him) was thrown by the kingNamrud become cool and means of safety for Prophet Ibrahim, by the order of Allah.
6. Allah delivered Prophet Ayub (Job) (Allah’s blessings be upon him) from distress and he was restored to prosperity.
7. By the Grace of Allah, Prophet Yunas (Jonah) (Allah’s blessings be upon him), after being swallowed by a huge fish (whale) for forty days, was casted out on the shore.
8. Prophet Mussa (Moses) (Allah’s blessings be upon him) got victory over Pharaoh.
9. Prophet Suleman (Solomon) (Allah’s blessings be upon him) was made a king to rule over mankind, Jins, Animals and the air.
10. Prophet Idris (Enoch) (Allah’s blessings be upon him) and Prophet Issa (Jesus) (Allah’s blessings be upon him) were lifted up alive.
11. Imam Hussain (Allah be pleased with him), the grandson of our beloved Prophet, got martyred at Karbala in Iraq.
12. The day of resurrection and judgement will take place on this day (Ashura)
As said on point 2, when Prophet Noah’s ark came to a rest at Mount Al-Judi, a meal was prepared and this meal was Bubur Ashura.
Each State in Malaysia has its own version of bubur Ashura; it’s sweet in most Northern State and from my State of Johor, it is savoury… and being a Johorean, I prefer the savoury version. It is also known as bubur lambok. What ever it may be or called or for, it is yummy and filling.
1 large onion
1 garlic cloves
3cm fresh ginger
1 cinnamon stick
1 star anise
1tbsp curry powder
300g minced beef
1 cup rice
1 large carrot, diced
1 medium potato, diced
Handful of green beans, chopped
salt to taste
250ml coconut milk
- Mince the onion, garlic and ginger and put to the side
- Place a pan on medium heat and heat the ghee. Add cinnamon, star anise, cardamom and cloves and fry for a minute before adding the mince onion, garlic and ginger and fry for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the curry powder and minced beef. Mix well and add the rice and water (I used about 750ml). Bring it to a boil, add the diced carrot and potato and chopped green beans, cover and simmer. Stir every few minutes and make sure that it does not dry up.
- Once the rice is cooked, add a bit of salt and the coconut milk. Stir and bring it back to a boil. Reduce the heat and cook until carrot and potato are cook. Again make sure that you add more water when needed.
Most recipes have pulses in it like lentil or chick peas. I prefer it without.
And that is it. I serve mine with thinly sliced omelette and chopped coriander leaves.